Thursday, June 11, 2009

Worth a million?

Brad Pitt recently paid close to $1 Million for the Neo Rauch painting "Etappe" at the Art Basel art fair in Basel, Switzerland. I was not at all familiar with Rauch before hearing this news....so I did a little researching. I have to say the Pitt's new possession would have to be my favorite of what I've seen thus far. I guess it's just not necessarily my taste. Allie and I have decided that we think his work is sort of a mix between Rockwell and Dali, at least thats conclusion we came to after a brief discussion.

Wikipedia points out here that "architectual elements peter out" of his work, and I'm always reading that Pitt is an avid architecture buff. Maybe that is why he loves it so...

"Etappe"
Image courtesty WSJ Blog SpeakEasy

"Paranoia"

"Die Fuge"

"Warten auf die Barbaren"



3 comments:

Anna said...

hahaha I love how you linked Allie.

Anna said...

It is very Dali-like.

mcl said...

Yeah the reason I said Rockwell (and thats not even who I meant, but I have such a disadvantage when it comes to art) is because of the narrative behind it...like a traditional idea gone wrong.