Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Notable weekly meal...

I've been eating a lot of crap lately, hence the no weekly meal posts. Something about the summer and the thought of wearing a bathing suit every weekend slows down my zest for food. BUT, I discovered something I thought I would share - Celery Root Vinaigrette. Awesome when paired with a piece of grilled chicken, and I imagine any other meat would go well with it. It makes for a nice light meal. The following is a recipe I copied out of the New York Times:

Celery Root Vinaigrette

Ingredients:

1 pound celery root
2 cups chicken stock
6 peppercorns
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped

Preparation:
1. Peel the celery root and cut into one-and-a-half inch cubes. Bring the chicken stock to the boil and add celery root, plus water if need.  Add the peppercorns.  Cover and simmer until tender (about 20 to 30 minutes). Drain.
2. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slice the celery root and place in a serving bowl.  Add the dressing, the scallions and parsley. Toss and serve at room temperature. 

Yield: 4 servings. 

1 comment:

Anna said...

I'm going to make with chicken and put over lettuce. Thanks. I have been addicted to the "Big Fat Greek Pita" so maybe it's time for something new!