Monday, August 25, 2008

Last night I was reading Garden and Gun magazine, which is a really great magazine that covers a weird, yet appropriate for the South, combination of clothes, hunting, art and alcohol. Every issue of Garden and Gun features Southern artists, which I love. In this most recent issue, I read a great article on artist John Alexander, who was born in Beaumont, TX and went to SMU (now lives in NYC and Amagansett but clearly influenced by the South). I've noticed his work before, and liked, but admittedly hadn't paid that much attention. But after reading this article, I really have a new appreciation (the article is definitely worth reading). Just as strange yet fitting the articles are in Garden and Gun, so too are John Alexander's subjects, which range from beautiful depictions of wild life to eerie, skeletal figurative paintings.


Proud
Charcoal, 25 x 19



Oil on Canvas, 2008, 76 x 84 (I actually would love this above a mantel...)

Class Reunion
Oil on Paper 2008 10 x 10"

John Alexander

The artist's studio

Works from studio

Oil on canvas, 90 x 100, 1986

(images from Garden and Gun and John Alexander Studio website)

No comments: