Monday, February 15, 2010

Weird but cool art

A lot of times, I find myself attracted to "pretty" art, but I do love the work of Francis Bacon. His art kind of scares me, but I am also very intrigued. Bacon's work is most famous for capturing the intangible concept of pain and tension. He also is famous for saying that he did not mean to scare people, but instead his paintings showed reality. "You can't be more horrific than life itself."

One of his earlier works was Head (1949):


His most famous is the similar work, Study after Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X:


This was his version of Velazquez's Portrait of Pope Innocent X:


Bacon's painting Figure with Meat was also a version of the Velazquez painting:


Not as frightening, but in the same style, Man with Dog:


That's it for art history today.

1 comment:

Daniela said...

Yes frightening, gonna have nightmares now... but I still can't stop looking at the images.