Thursday, January 14, 2010

DIY Project

So I really like the look of multiple matching prints in a room....


Many designers do this look, but using authentic prints can be super pricey. Just a few prints can cost thousands, and I like the look of many more than just a few. Soooo.... I've discovered the New York Public Library Digital Gallery. It is a database of literally thousands of historical images like artwork, photographs, old postcards, illustrations from books and so on.


My advice is to search an image you like (I searched "botanical print") and scan the images to find a group of matching looks. I loved these monochromatic botanical sketches from 1906. Then, head to your local print shop and have them printed on high quality paper. You'll be so surprised at the quality of the prints!!

Oh, and one final tip: get cheap frames from Target or wherever, and then paint the frame, even if the paint is the same color as the original frame. The hand-painted brushstrokes make the frames look much more high end!

1 comment:

mcl said...

Funny - I was looking through In Style yesterday and saw some botanical prints behind a bed and loved it (and thought of you). This is a great idea...I'm going to recommend it to Kate who is looking for something to do behind her bed.