Thursday, July 22, 2010

Feeling Blue

As per usual, this month's Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles featured a home that I'm just in love with. My favorite room was this paneled study with royal blue accents. Go here for the full article.


I especially was intrigued by the blue pharmacy bottle arrangement on the mantel.

Images via Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles

My mom has always collected old glass bottles so I loved to see a fresh approach to this type of collection.





I did some research, and I think I'm a blue bottle enthusiast now. Turns out, that there is a serious science behind these type bottles. The blue glass bottles were almost always used to hold medicines, poisons or castor oil. The ones in the photo above are in order from least rare to most rare (left to right). You can tell that embossed bottles are more rare.

Now where to start said collection. My mom digs them up from an area that used to be full of old Alabama homes, but was bull-dozed to make apartments (typical that old homes were torn down, also typical that my mom spends her time digging for bottles). There are other ways, too:


There are many single bottles available on the Vintage side of Etsy.com like this one.


Try Ebay listings for Cobalt Blue Glass Bottles, too. There are tons out there. Love this idea and love a good internet search.

No comments: