Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Objet of my Affection

Designers like to drop the term "objet d'art" a lot to make a pretty simple idea seem more... sophisticated. An "objet d'art" is really just an object that has some sort of artistic value. I love this idea because it is unexpected, rustic and can be very inexpensive. Since an "objet d'art" is any item that can be perceived as art, it doesn't necessarily have to be costly. You can find anything to use from a thrift store or garage sale (the imperfections make things no longer useful, but the same imperfections make great art). It really is all in the perception. Here are some of my favorite examples:

Betty Burgess via Veranda

Nate Berkus

Kay Douglass

Kay Douglass

Kay Douglass

Darryl Carter
Nate Berkus

James Huniford

Axel Vervoordt (I think!)

Stephen Sills (I think!)

No comments: